The Department of Environment (DoE) was independently set up since the year 2018, after bifurcating from the Department of Science, Technology and Environment and presently located on the 4th Floor, Dempo Towers, Panaji. And now recently the nomenclature of Department has changed to “Dept. of Environment and Climate Change (DoE and CC)” since 27/02/2020.
The broad objectives of the Department are:
- Conservation and survey of flora, fauna, forests and wildlife
- Prevention and control of pollution
- Afforestation and regeneration of degraded areas
- Protection of the environment and
- Ensuring the welfare of animals
These objectives are well supported by a set of legislative and regulatory measures, aimed at the preservation, conservation and protection of the environment.
The Department is headed by the Director who is also the ex-officio Joint Secretary to the Government. The Department implements various projects relevant to the State, preparation of Coastal Zone Management Plan, Integrated Coastal Zone Management Project (ICZMP) and various schemes relevant to environmental pollution, enforcement of “environmental protection/pollution control” laws. The State Department of Environment and Climate Change (DoE and CC) is the nodal agency for environmental management, conservation and protection of natural resources and endangered ecosystem as well as eco-restoration, development, protection and maintenance of selected natural reserves. The mandate of the Department is executed through various statutory and non-statutory agencies/authorities listed below.
- Goa State Biodiversity Board (GSBB).
- Goa State Wetland Authority (GSWA).
- Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB).
- Goa Coastal Zone Management Authority (GCZMA).
- Goa State Environment Impact Assessment Authority (GSEIAA).
- Goa Coastal Environment Management Society (GCEMS).
Department of Environment has following two notified sub committees under it, namely
- Goa Environment Protection Council (GEPC)
- State Level Steering Committee for National Adaptation Funds for Climate Change (SLSC for NAFCC) Read More...
MAIN ACTIVITIES OF DoE and CC
- Promotion of appropriate environmental projects relevant to the needs of the State.
- Implementation of environmental awareness drives through grant-in aid to our Authorities.
- Publication of papers, brochures and books etc. relevant to Environment.
- Administration of statutory and advisory bodies on Environment.
- Drafting of environmental legislations proposed by the Government from time to time.
- Nodal Dept to implement ‘State/Central’ Acts/Legislations on environment and pollution control through the respective enforcement authorities.